We have a range of “stand alone” purification equipment’s by heterogeneous photo-catalysis specially designed for applications in the food industry.
Entirely made of food grade stainless steel, incorporating the latest technology for advanced heterogeneous photo-catalysis, RCI™, is the result of important scientific advances and research, developed in cooperation institutions partnering with NASA, and is the only air & surface purification company awarded with the Space Foundation “Certified Space Technology” seal.
DuctStation units, with RCI™ technology, are particularly suitable for applications in the food and perishable products, eliminating up to 99% of issues, risks and biological threats caused by:
- Fungus (Botrytis cinerea, Penicillium sp, Rhizopus, Monilinia fructicola, etc.)
- Bacteria (Pseudomonas alcaligenes, Pseudomonas aureuginosa, Listeria monocytogenes, Micrococcus, Streptococcus, Sarcina, Leuconostoc, Lactobacillus, Proteus, lavobacterium, etc.)
- Ethylene gas and other VOCs (ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, skatole, indole, urea, etc.)
- Microbes, germs and pathogens
The technology. Heterogeneous photo-catalysis
This technology is based on active principles of the power of light on the noble metals catalyst, which accelerate the reaction process with water and the relative humidity, resulting in oxygen and hydrogen based active substances, such as hydro peroxides – H2O2 – totally ecologic and natural, capable of destroying potent chemicals, micro-organisms, mold, fungi, bacteria and deactivating virus in ambiances and surfaces, thereby providing significant benefits and savings for the food industry.
Recent studies at the University of Zaragoza (Spain´s top University in Food Engineering and Veterinary Applications), demonstrate the effectiveness of our RCI™ photo- catalytic units, and validate their:
Antimicrobial effect in the environment, on surfaces and products, without altering their organoleptic properties
Influence on the fruit maturation process, thus prolonging the life of perishable products and eliminating the risk of contamination and the spread of germs during food processing
Effectiveness of the photo-catalytic system in reducing the concentration of ethylene (C2H4)
Effectiveness in maintaining the atmosphere purified with a very low concentration of microorganisms in cold storage, ripening and processing facilities
Brings added value to your company and your product
The increasing number of restrictions that must be met by the food industries, in terms of quality and safety standards, due to growing concerns about the exposure of products to bacteria and germs in the food processing industries, forces companies to have cleaner and safer environments.
In particular, the meat industry faces problems everyday with hygiene, health, safety, and trade restrictions, having to face more frequent and stricter controls by government and health authorities.
This technology is particularly suitable for the food industry, and designed to create clean environments in handling, processing and food storage rooms, so, at the time of handling, storage or packaging, the product is not compromised by bacterial concentrations, fungi and other pathogens. With the application of this technology, CFUs concentrations -Colony Forming Units- are drastically reduced – bacteria (e.g. E-coli, Salmonella,
Listeria, etc.), Fungi, mold spores (e.g. Penicillium), yeasts and coliforms.
The installation of RCI™ photo-catalytic units allows food industry companies to improve their quality management system, food safety, environment and prevention, ensuring food quality and safety of their product, with less impact on the environment and the health and safety of their employees.
RCI™ technology prevents other cumbersome and expensive methods of disinfection and prevention involving the use of chemicals and the spraying of biocides for disinfection of environments in areas considered critical in the production process of the food industry. With RCI™ there is:
- No need to stop the production process for disinfection. The disinfection is done continuously without stopping production
- No risk of worker exposure to chemicals
- No safety periods, nor evacuation of areas
- No hazardous aerosol waste is generated
- No costs for chemicals and no need to store hazardous compounds
- Staff presence in areas with RCI™ system, because of its safety
- Low installation and maintenance costs, without replenishment of product. It is only necessary to replace the RCI™ cells every 2 years (or two seasons)
- Extends product life. Reduces weight loss, incidents and damages to the product
- Reduces and eliminates the microbial load, removing pathogens which can be harmful to the product and / or human health. Achieves dramatic reductions in counts of bacteria, fungi, molds, yeasts and total coliforms
- Removal of Ethylene and other volatile organic compounds and odors
- Applied in cold room storage, RCI™ technology purifies the indoor environment by preventing the development and proliferation of microorganisms in the air and on surfaces
- Installed in transport vehicles and containers for shipping fresh products, this technology allows the concerned products to maintain their quality and freshness, reducing the number of incidents and spoilage
- In animal breeding farms, it reduces preventive drug and antibiotics costs
- Active technology, not passive. It can reach all the cracks in a room including remote and difficult to reach areas